Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
        Up
        Down
        ::

If you write an introduction, please give one unique fact about yourself that nobody else in the program can say.

Here’s a little story why.

One of my favorite professors had an interesting first day of class. He would pass around note cards and ask people to answer 3 questions: Why are you taking this class, a question related to the subject of the class, and a unique fact about you that nobody else could say.

He would then have the students pair up with the person sitting next to them and interview each other. Then after 20 minutes we would go around the room and do introductions. I would introduce my partner and my partner would introduce me, giving the answers to the three questions.

At the end of introductions the professor would then call out the entire class’ names, 30 students, from memory. The class’ jaws dropped. It was magic. I’ve had professors that couldn’t remember student’s names after 6 weeks and here the professor did it on the first day!

I later became good friends with that professor and one day I asked how he developed this technique. He revealed 2 key points. First, the unique fact was important, it was an anchor point to relate other information to the person. Without that it’s too easy to lose names in sea of faces. Second, because the students introducing each other they immediately had a someone else in the class, a buddy, whom they could ask questions, get notes or copies of homework assignments if they missed class, etc.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.